Re: Link-2: Pseudo-elements

From: Steven J. DeRose <sjd@eps.inso.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:56:33 -0400
To: Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 02:20 PM 05/18/97 GMT, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

>As we've mentioned, a parsed document may have a different number of
>pseudoelements after parsing according to whether validation is switched
>on or off.  Therefore unless *that* problem is solved, I think the current
>problem is insoluble.

If we view that as a major deal, it's easily soluble with a hack: since
there are only 2 cases, you merely have to represent somewhere which case
your locators assume.

Or (better), choose a counting algorithm that keeps locators invariant
across the two cases: like, decide that pseudoelements consisting solely of
whitespace just do not count. Maybe it sounds stupid, but it also looks a
whole lot better to me than not having a solution at all.

Steven J. DeRose, Ph.D., Chief Scientist
Inso Electronic Publishing Solutions
   (formerly EBT)