Re: SD5 - Namespaces [fmt]

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 20:53:41 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
altheim wrote:
> I don't claim to understand architectural forms in all their myriad
> complexity, but I was under the impression that they would serve this
> purpose. If that is true, then is this proposal in competition with AFs?

Architectural Forms require a DTD. We need a way for non-DTD users to
declare their namespaces. I ranted about this quite a bit a few weeks
ago. I'll repeat for those who weren't here. XML presents a strong
incentive for removing DOCTYPEs in order to combine namespaces (I need
some HTMLMath and some TEI PROSE, so I'll just remove the DOCTYPE and
away we go!). But once the DOCTYPE is removed the namespace that the GIs
come from is lost. Interperability is hurt.

 Paul Prescod