Re: SD5 - Namespaces

In message <78DFE33066ABD0118B9200805FD431BA5EC14D@RED-16-MSG.dns.microsoft.com> Jean Paoli writes:
> SD5 - Namespaces:
> -----------------------------

[...]
I have been rereading the MathML spec and have made a considerable number of
comments on it in xml-dev, including three proposals.  In general these have
implications for XML in general since the style set by early DTDs such
as MathML and CML will have great influence on what style and (good) practice
people adopt. The way in which MathML interoperates with (a) HTML and (b)
CML are imminently critical, I believe.  In addition the role of (a)
a pre-parser/macro-processor and (b) multidimensional strongly typed arrays
are things that are already being addressed by MathML (and CML).  XML should
take a lead here before the namespace and syntax is muddied by
early well-intentioned but non-interoperable DTDs.  Another general comment
is that MathML can be considerably lightened (IMO) by the use of XML-link.

My posting is hypermailed at http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev.
If XML-WG moderators feel it's worth crossposting here, I'll do so.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences