Re: SD1 - Short End Tags

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:04:40 -0500
To: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Arjun Ray wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 1997, Dave Hollander wrote:
>
> > I am shocked; there have been no postings about this proposal.
>
> 8 months ago, I was one of the few who argued for empty end-tags. The ERB
> decided otherwise.
>
> But I agree, the lack of posts on this proposal (even to heap scorn on
> it:-)) is somewhat surprising.
>
> Arjun

Some decisions for simplicity were probably not simplifying.

The use of the empty end tag is well established in IDE/AS
and used a lot when entering manually and converting.  Without
pretty print indentions, it does make reading a little harder,
and for someone doing simple macros based on search and
replace, empty end tags are less than idea.  However, since
the specification does not mandate them, having that option
is attractive and one less thing to change in existing code.

len bullard