XML for Structured Data [fmt]

 From: Jean Paoli <jeanpa@microsoft.com>
 To: "'w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
 Subject: XML for Structured Data
 Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:14:10 -0700

 As Jon said in a previous e-mail, the XML ERB have decided to open the
 namespace debate. Andrew Layman from Microsoft and myself have been -
 with the approval of the XML ERB- discussing with a lot of groups in
 the W3C and in the IETF the subject of using XML for Structured Data.

 The mail below describe the issues we were discussing with all of
 these groups (Digital Signature, DAV, Labels) and the set of
 limitations of XML that have been clearly identified by them.

 At this time a lot of these groups expressed their interest in using
 XML for structured data and I think personnally that this is a huge
 win for XML if they do choose to use it: This will represent a huge
 range of distributed applications and protocols which will use XML on
 the Web.  This is why the XML ERB agreed to open officially these
 subjects to discussion and asked me to post 5 questions to this
 mailing list for revising the XML-syntax.

 This mail starts with an introduction to the problem and will be
 followed by 5 e-mails numbered SD1, SD2, SD3, SD4, SD5 (SD like
 Structured Data) which correspond to the 5 revisions that we would
 want to discuss.

 It is better to read the questions in order.

 You will find also at the end of this e-mail a paper written by the
 folks in W3C which are in charge of the PICS-NG Metadata Model and
 Label Syntax Group (The Author is Ora Lassila).  They have today 2
 competing syntaxes (a lisp proposal and an XML proposal and I really
 hope they will choose XML).

 -Jean Paoli

 [paper omitted]