Re: PIFLE (was Re: Are PIs useful?)

From: Steven J. DeRose <sjd@eps.inso.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 10:46:07 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 07:30 PM 05/15/97 -0500, Robert Streich wrote:
>Should the internals of PIs be structured? No. Leave them alone. If we

I tend to agree, but with 2 small exceptions:

* I think the idea of requiring them to start with some kind of a
domain/owner label is useful and not overly restrictive: it helps prevent
conflicts between different customizers (note "helps" -- not totally solves).

* I also think it could be useful to create a convention or rule for how to
put PIC in your PIs; just because otherwise everyone has to invent it all
over again (I actually think SGML should have allowed character references
or at least &gt; inside PIs, but it didn't).

Steven J. DeRose, Ph.D., Chief Scientist
Inso Electronic Publishing Solutions
   (formerly EBT)