Re: Betting our lives on error handling

Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> On the other hand, the quality of error recovery exhibited by the SGML
> software I've used when confronted with the equivalents of WF errors is
> -- how can i say this delicately? -- not the world's most persuasive
> argument for SGML or for error recovery.  It always surprises me when
> any error message after the first is even coherent.  If your mileage
> varies, then good luck to you.

On the other hand, when a human is on the receiving end and knows
SGML, it is an easy class of errors to debug.  Just like C, after the
first bug or so, most of it goes away and it comes down to a simple
class of syntax anomalies usually due to sloppy input in the
ASCII editor.  Most SGML editors I've used when a competent
DTD designer created the schema are remarkably good at keeping
the markup at the level of precision required by the next handling
application.

Error handling requirements are consumer-based.

len