Re: SGML WG status

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 10:44:12 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Murray Altheim:]

| Does this mean that those in the ERB who are not paying members of the
| W3C will be relegated to the Working Group, as they haven't paid to
| participate in the W3C process?

No, they continue to participate as Invited Experts.

| I like Jon's process more than what I envision happening with the
| proposed changes, which devalues the current working group, composed
| of mostly non-W3C members. I see an awful lot of valuable comment from
| those non-W3C members.

I'm sad to report that under the current W3C process rules, interest
groups are unlimited in size (no more "expert" status required) but
their membership is limited solely to employees of W3C member
organizations.  This makes me wonder whether it might not be better to
monitor a well-run mailing list maintained outside the W3C than
continue the existence of an interest group with all the non-W3C
members missing.

Our ability to continue under our old form of organization runs out
June 30, hence the push to have new xml-lang and xml-link drafts done
by then.

Jon