Re: Notes on the process

Gavin Nicol wrote:

> God forbid that you use the Internet for this application, and I cannot see
> why you'd want to send the data in XML. More reliable protocols and
> data representations exist, or can be invented for such applications.

The Internet will be used for all manner of mission critical applications
just as the telephone system is today. XML is a natural choice for
representing structured data - it's not just for documents. XML is both
human and machine readable. Lightweight XML parsers exist (or soon will).

Of course this (and other) applications can be done in other ways without
using XML. The important point is that they can *not* be done with XML
because XML can no longer be seen as fault-tolerant. Conforming processors
do *not* tolerate errors.