Re: SGML WG status

Jon Bosak wrote:
> In addition to xml-style (aka dsssl-o), things that we *know* that we
> will be talking about after July 1 include:
>
>   - strong data typing
>   - data declaration facilities beyond the DTD
>   - linkage to behaviors
>   - multiple name spaces

Request for clarification:

Are these things being slated for discussion in *XML 1.0*?

A few days ago, Jon said: "Whatever eventually comes out of this
discussion, it does not belong to XML 1.0 but to some future version." I
am particularly concerned about namespaces. I would like to at least get
back to the level of namespace declaration that is common in SGML (using
doctypes) for "typical" (non-valid) XML documents. I believe that this
should de done before version 1.0 ships considering how much more
crucial tagname interoperability is on the Web vs. in the internal
systems where SGML is usually used.

This is why I came out strongly in favour of immediate discussion. If
the ERB intends to at least *consider* these for inclusion in XML 1.0
then I will just wait quietly. If not, I would like to hear why it
should be put off to some future version.

The other features seem to me to be going beyond what we typically
expect of SGML documents and I could see that we might want to wait
until we have some more experience and a little more time to think them
through.

 Paul Prescod