Re: XDB 0.3 available (XMLized Docbook 3.0)

From: Norbert H. MIKULA <e_nmiku@utila.ifi.uni-klu.ac.at>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 18:38:54 +0200
To: C M Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@tigger.cc.uic.edu>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
C M Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

> Since the rules for expanding parameter entities within parameter-entity
> declarations effectively act as an infinitely flexible escape hatch,
> I wonder whether we really want or need the plus, instead of a
> star, in production 46.
>
> Should it not perhaps be
>
>   AttlistDecl ::= '<!ATTLIST' S %Name S? (%(Attdef*))* S? '>'
>
> instead?  This would allow DocBook and other built-to-be-customized
> DTDs to remain a little more straightforward.

I vote - passionately - against it ! (Unless somebody can show
me how to implement it using a Lex/YACC approach. Henry ? )

Maybe there is a graceful way to do it. I couldn't find any, so far.

It is, almost no problem, I guess, if you use hand-crafted parsers,
but I thought for XML we have made a step forward.

--
Best regards,
Norbert H. Mikula

= SGML, DSSSL, Intra- & Internet, AI, Java
= mailto:nmikula@edu.uni-klu.ac.at
= http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~nmikula