Re: XML Conformance Levels [Was: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

altheim wrote:

> Minus conformance levels, the only option is to either have linking
> or no linking at all, entity declarations or none at all, stylesheets
> or none at all, etc. and I feel this is a barrier to both development of
> the spec and probably applications as well.

What history shows is that if the conformance levels aren't specified
in the language specs, they are specified later by the developers of
test suites and the sort of thing developed by the guys who do FIPS.
The question usually is, "do they have teeth?" which is what makes
them useful in contracting.

If they aren't developed by this group, put the good ideas in your
pocket and wait for a year or two of conflict to develop, then
pull them out and start again.

len