Re: ERB: decision and conundrum

At 06:58 PM 3/16/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>On another subject, we agonized further over the fact that current
>implementations of '#' in URLs always fetch the whole document and
>then navigate to the fragment in the client.  For SGML, this is
>probably often unreasonable.  Too bad - this behavior is not
>carved in stone; early implementations that stupidly try to fetch
>the entire OED or Physician's Desk Reference, just to pull out a
>fragment, will not succeed in the marketplace

I just did some tests and it appears that the fragment identifier (the text
following the hash on the URL) is even passed to the server, at least for
HTTP.  Thus a server does not even know that you are addressing
	http://www.overthere.com/this/and/that#foo
rather than
	http://www.overthere.com/this/and/that

This makes using the fragment identifier for server-side filtering rather
difficult, as I see it.

-derek

ddb@criinc.com || software-engineer || www/sgml/java/perl/etc.