Re: 4.3 SGML addressing

At 12:33 PM -0800 3/4/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>Background: the draft spec supports SGML-style addressing, traditional
>IDREF(S) and also by entity name.
>
>4.3.a Should we support this type of locator?

We will impair the advantages of XML for SGML users a lot if we don't
support SGML-style addressing.

>4.3.b Should we support entity addressing by name?

I think this idiom for inter-document links (ent=foo refid=bar-in-foo) is
so common that we must support it.

>4.3.c Should we support element addressing by ID attribute?

Yes.

>4.3.d Should we support a combination of these two?
Yes.

>4.3.e What syntax should we use?

The Entity attribute should be one way to do BASE (or whatever). The
declaration can cause the behavior to switch from URL-interpretation to
entity reference interpretation.