Re: 5.1 Extended Link Groups

At 12:33 4/3/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>5.1.a Shall we support a mechanism for a document to contain a list of
>other documents that someone thinks ought to processed with it, in order
>to find linking elements pointing into the first document, and in general
>create a web of related documents?

Yes

>5.1.b If so, shall we say anything normative about whether this must be
>done?

There are two possibilities here:
1) Make it an optional feature of browsers and require that documents
requiring this feature have an initial processing instruction that says that
they require a browser that supports this option
2) Require all XML browsers to support the feature through normative text.

>5.1.c Should we use an SGML element, a PI, or some other construct to hold
>this list of documents?

An SGML element

>5.1.d If we use an element, what should it be called?

<XREFERENCES> or <ATTACHMENTS>?

>5.1.e If we use an SGML element, should we have subelements per referenced
>doc or just a token-separated list of entity names in a single attribute?
>In either case what should the subelement (if any) and attributes be
>called?

Subelements per referenced doc.
<XREFERENCE> or <ATTACHMENT>

----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/