Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

From: Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre <dlapeyre@mulberrytech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:32:22 -0400
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
Rick Jelliffe wrote; people really need is a way to add
arbitrary grove-aware lexical parsing to any attribute.

TIM BRAY: No, we don't want a lexical model.
We want CDATA, but unique.

That is a very good statement of the requirement!
That is really all that is wanted here.

ID Changes real users have desired:
1)  New Characters, Top Priority =  "_", SGML
    Declaration amended.
2)* People also asked for (and were discouraged from):
    the following characters: "=","/", "\","@", "#",
    ":", "^","<", ">", and "%".
3)  Wanted to start with a numeric WITHOUT changing
    the name start character for all other names.
4)  Wanted to allow very LONG IDs, without permitting
    future programmers to make GIs longer than
    8 characters.

* Footnote: (I do not advocate we allow all these
  characters, but naive users have requested them,
  sometimes with legitimate reasons.)

--Debbie

Deborah A. Lapeyre                     Phone: 301/231-6933
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.            Fax: 301/231-6935
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608     E-mail: dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com
Rockville, MD  20852                  WWW: http://www.mulberrytech.com