Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 05:03:09 +1000
Cc: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> From: B. Tommie Usdin <btusdin@mulberrytech.com>

> Perhaps the question is: "should the limitations on the content of
the
> names of element types be the same as the limitation on the content
of the
> names of particular elements?".
>
> And it is not at all clear to me that the answer is YES.

Perhaps the question is "should we have different rules for every
different
type of thing?"

It is not clear to me that the answer is yes!  In fact, the fewer
differences
in rules the better.  The NAMECASE split for entities and other names
is
confusing enough without adding more differences.

I think that what people really need is a way to add arbitrary
grove-aware lexical parsing to any attribute.  To be able to say: "this
is the lexical model for this attribute, and it has to be unique (or
present) in this namespace."
Too much for XML!

Rick Jelliffe