Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:56:07 +1000
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

> No.  I'm happy with Names being names.  I'm wondering why the ID
> attribute has a value that's a Name, as opposed to being CDATA with
> the added proviso that it be unique. -T.

Mmm

If you need unique references + wild data, you could use ENTITY
rather than ID.

<!ATTLIST p    wild-id  ENTITY #REQUIRED>

This is of course not inline, but probably it achieves the purpose.
It, of course, doesn't check that the entities values are unique,
but the entity names must be, which may be the same thing.

Rick Jelliffe