Re: Revised SGML Declaration for XML 1.0

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:17:20 +1000
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

> I'd be very sorry if : were NOT a namestart character.  On my
account,
> being able to say :foo to get the 'foo' from the document namespace
is
> of some importance.

But that begs the question of the existance of namespaces.  XML-lang,
as
deliverable in July, will not have namespaces.  So we should avoid
trouble
and prevent incompatible namespace dialects emerging.

If the IG and WG8 come up with a good system that requires it, then ":"
can be moved up to be a namestart character, but for now all we need, I
think,
is the simplest of naming conventions "::" to keep names of exportable
elements in DTDs unique.

Rick Jelliffe