RE: Update on namespaces

David Durand wrote some mail (below) that reflects a misunderstand of
what I intend from namespaces.  Without getting into many of the other
interesting issues raised here and elsewhere, I want to clear up this
one point:

Namespaces does not mean that suddenly any element is valid anywhere.

I absolutely am not suggesting that the use of namespace means that
every element suddenly has an implicit content model of "ANY".

I imagine merely something along the following lines:

Namespace A (mineral) has

<!-- Chemical elements -->
<!ELEMENT Gold>
<!ELEMENT Mercury>

Namespace B (planet) has

<!--The planets -->
<!ELEMENT Mercury>
<!ELEMENT Venus>
<!EMEMENT Earth>

Some instance data has (and I don't mean this to be good DTD design,
just a crude example):

<PlanetaryMineralProspects>
    <PlanetsExplored>
        <planet:Mercury/>
    </PlanetsExplored>
    <MineralsFound>
        <mineral:Mercury/>
    </MineralsFound>
</PlanetaryMineralProspects>

Obviously, the DTD for this could specify that the content model for
PlanetsExplored allows only planet:Mercury, planet:Venus etc.  (The
exact syntax for namespace reference in schemata is yet to be worked
out.)  The key point, however, is that the DTD absolutely does not allow
just any element anywhere. It allows only certain elements within
PlanetsExplored, and different ones within MineralsFound.

An obvious syntax springs to mind:

<!ELEMENT PlanetsExplored ( planet:Mercury? planet:Venus? planet:Earth )

<!ELEMENT MineralsFound ( mineral:Mercury? mineral:Gold? ) >

That is, far from defeating validation, namespaces permit use of
multiple, merged schemata while retaining validation.

I hope this clarification is helpful.

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL@microsoft.com