Re: Meaning of normative references [was: Update on namespaces]

 len bullard wrote:

> > No.  It says where XML uses SGML as the intellectual basis of its
> > construction, it is legally obligated to maintain that inviolate.
>
> Huh??????
>
> You seem to be using the term "normative reference" in some
> way that I'm not familiar with. Please explain. The meaning
> of the term "normative reference" that I'm familiar has exactly
> the consequences that David points out.

Consequence arises from action not declaration.
Otherwise, the word would be the thing.

> [If this is an old, worn out, tired out topic, then please
> reply off the list. I don't mean to beat a dead horse,
> but I do need to absorb more of the culture of this forum.]

It means the editors/designers/ERB of the specification have
specified a language that does not violate the technical requirements of
the parent specification.  It does not prevent them from
writing one which is technically complete.  If they can do
that, they can write a specification that needs no clarification.

A normative reference means XML is SGML, not SGML-like.

len