Re: XML-LINK: EXTENDED and EMBED

From: Peter Murray-Rust <Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 20:17:50 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
In message <199706230513.WAA04368@boethius.eng.sun.com> Jon.Bosak@Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak) writes:
> Without getting into the details of Peter's attempt to define generic
> expectations for link handling, I think that all such specifications
> belong in a document separate from the ones we're currently working
> on.  I believe that there is a general consensus among the ERB that we
> will need to agree eventually on some default behaviors for various
> categories of user agents such as Web browsers, but that this is not
> the time or place to be engaged in that activity.
>
> Perhaps xml-dev is the right place to discuss early informal
> agreements among the developers of particular kinds of applications.

Thanks Jon,
	Understood and agreed.  I think that any early implementations (from
a document labelled DO NOT IMPLEMENT :-) can expect to be transient.

	I expect these discussions will have some of the flavour of discussions
about APIs (which seem to be making good progress).  If XML-DEV does throw up
agreement, I am sure enough ERB/WG members will take note.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences