Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 11:25:35 +0700
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
> WG8-folk on the list; are we the only ones who would like a
> radical simplification of the PE replacement rules, or is this
> another pending-for-the-subset item?  How about another SGML
> Declaration option that says PEs are just string-substituted
> without regard for where they may be? -Tim

I'm not convinced this is a desirable change. I think it would be much
harder to do a GUI DTD editor that preserved the parameter entity structure
if parameter entities were allowed anywhere.  I don't myself think making
them more like simple macros is the right direction to be taking SGML.
Rather I think that, for use within declarations, it would be better to
head in the direction of a less syntactic approach. One reason for this is
namespaces: macro-like facilities generally interact poorly with
namespaces/modules.

James