Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:46:52 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 11:56 AM 20/06/97 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
> a powerful plea that says (No PE's == No DTD's)

Sigh.  My fallback position has always been, can we banish
PE's from the internal subset?  The idea is, even if PE's
are agreed to be necessary for validating applications, I can
see no good argument that a lightweight DTD-less WF doc
reader should ever have to deal with them.

As for the difficulty: I (and I think I'm not alone) am
sensitive to issues of parser size.  Processing PEs is not
rocket science but will materially add to code bulk.  Part
of this code size is code that checks that the PE began and
ended at a legal place [which code SERVES NO USEFUL PURPOSE
FOR MAN OR BEAST]

-T.