Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:15:54 -0700
To: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 07:03 PM 20/06/97 +0100, Martin Bryan wrote:
>Come on - there are many areas of XML where you have placed semantic
>constraints on the use of valid SGML features. Why should placing
>constraints on the use of PEs be any different?

The problem is that this is a relaxation, not a constraint.  I want to
remove all the arcane rules about where PE's can and can't go and
just say they do straight text macro-style substitution, orthogonal
to the DTD grammar.  But lots of such PE references would be illegal
per 8879.  With this change, PEs would self-evidently do all the things
that PEs do now but would have none of the problems that are making us
lean to nuking them. -Tim