Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: Deborah Aleyne Lapeyre <dlapeyre@mulberrytech.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:16:55 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Eve wrote (numbers added):
> Many of the uses of parameter entities that new DTD writers and simple
> DTDs are likely to want can be replaced by GI name groups:
         1) synchronizingthe content models
         2) attribute lists of elements

No argument on "2", given multiple attlists for one element.

However, "synchronizing content models" rarely means something a simple as
"the content model is the same as".  In my experience, it more usually
means,"a part of this model that is the same as a part of that model will
be the same, e.g. all the paragraph-level objects will be the same for
sections, chapters, and sidebars".  This is true even for very very simple
DTDs.  GI name groups do not help.

-dal

Deborah A. Lapeyre                     Phone: 301/231-6933
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.            Fax: 301/231-6935
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608     E-mail: dalapeyre@mulberrytech.com
Rockville, MD  20852                  WWW: http://www.mulberrytech.com