Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: Dave Hollander <dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:49:25 -0600
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

Tommy,

As Dave D has correctly pointed out in the namespace issue, it is
important to acknowledge that your sense of the tradeoff. Your
description of the tradeoff is exactly what I was thinking as we
discussed the issue. However, for me at least, it is a technical,
not political, issue.

> The gain in simplicity may outweigh the loss of functionality.

As I view the scales, simplicity and the functionality of namegroups
and namespaces out weigh the implementation costs associated with
parameter entities.

> I don't care for the implication that GI name groups substitute for
> parameter entities.

No, but they do provide for the most common usage of parameter entities
that I am aware of. The other use that I would be alarmed if we lost is
their use in modular DTDs. I believe that the ultimate "namespace"
solution with fragments combined in the instance, not the DTD, will
support this need.

However, I do not use parameter entities often. Could you list other
significant features that would be lost?

Regards,
Dave Hollander

Dave Hollander                    Hewlett-Packard
Intranet Architect                3404 E. Harmony Road, MS. 6U68
TIS/WebCOE                        Fort Collins, Colorado  80525
dmh@corp.hp.com                   970-229-3192