XML Link and External Entities

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:49:02 -0400
To: W3C SGML Working Group <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
Could someone please explain why XML-Link cannot reference external
entities? The allowance of PUBLIC seems quite hollow in its absence. It
also seems quite odd that XML-Lang and XML-Link should be "out of sync"
in this respect. If we believe that URLs should go directly in XML
documents, then we should allow URLs as internal entity names:

&http://www.uwaterloo.ca;

so that the mechanism for including text fragments and for referencing
text fragments would be analogous. I don't see why the parser should
(implicitly) retain the SGML concept of an "entity manager" but the link
processor should not.

 Paul Prescod