Re: Update on namespaces

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:32:17 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 15:23 1997 06 18 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
> Namespaces were a proposed solution to the
>requirement to attach semantics to elements in a DTD-independent way.

If this is true, then I'm on the wrong wave length.

I do not see namespaces as attaching semantics to elements, but
only as a way to uniquify otherwise non-unique names.  This, for
me, is the XML-namespace issue.  Attaching semantics is either
the XML-style or XML-datatyping or XML-link or whatever issue.
Let's keep orthogonal issues as separate as possible.