Re: Update on namespaces

From: Matthew Fuchs <matt@wdi.disney.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:28:24 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
On Jun 17,  4:52pm, Tim Bray wrote:
> Subject: Re: Update on namespaces
> The solutions proposed fall into three categories:

> 2. Use Architectural Forms (maybe just calling them reserved attributes)

> 3. Use an all-instance syntax

> For now, I lean to #3, with AF's a fallback position if there's a really
> good reason for not doing #3.  Andrew Layman and have agreed to cook
> up a formal proposal along these lines, which will be forthcoming.
>
>-- End of excerpt from Tim Bray

Occam's razor would indicate going with #2, since we need add nothing.  #3 is
certainly cool syntactic sugar, but it opens the door to messing with the
structure of the GI.  I've also suggested a different extension for error
recovery.

The next step will be defining regular expressions for parsing the GI to
determine which extensions are being used.  I don't say  that's good or bad,
but I suggest it will now be inevitable.

Matthew Fuchs
matt@wdi.disney.com