Re: USES Notations (was part of Update on namespaces)

At 11:32 13/6/97 EDT, lee@sq.com wrote:

>> You can only attach link
>> notation processors to valid link elements. You can only attach CALS tables
>> notation processors to elements that conform to the CALS table model
>
>Martin, go take a look at Panorama -- or any other ViewPort-based product --
>to see why this is not true.
>
>For example, in a Panorama style sheet, I can say that DIV is a table, with
>H1 being a table cell.  Now, there are no CALS span attributes and no
>colspec elements, but Panorama happily makes do with the subset.  Such a
>style sheet ships with Panorama Publisher Pro.
>
>And, of course, all the elements are different, as are the content models.
>
>So I don't think this really counts as conforming to the CALS table model.

So what does it gain you saying that a DIV conforms to the CALS table model?
It certainly doesn't help semantic interpetation of the type Andrew Layman
and Jon Bosak asked for as part of the namespaces debate. Of course you can
associate any notation processor with any element, but to convey meaning you
need to ensure that namespaces and notations match. For example, if I said
that notation HTML was to be used to process elements in namespace CALS, and
CALS was to be used process elements in namespace HTML, what would that gain me?
----
Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029  E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com
For details about The SGML Centre contact http://www.sgml.u-net.com/
For details about the Open Information Interchange initiative contact
http://www.echo.lu/oii/en/oiistand.html