Re: Determination of Encoding (Re: Invasion of the pseudo-people ...)

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 23:06:55 +1000
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> From: Murata Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>

> Internet experts at Keio University (W3C host) and SGML experts
> in Japan have discussed the encoding detection issue.  Here is
> my (personal) summary of our agreement.

Looks good.  Simple.  Checking heuristics and prefering MIME to PIs
in case of disagreement become (formally)  implementors' and applications'
error handling strategies, and outside the realm of valid XML.

> Other information or huristics such as "Metadata provided
> by the native OS file system or by document management
> software" (4.3.3, Part 1) should not be used.

If you say MIME and PI must agree, else it indicates a system error,
then surely you should also require  MIME and OS metadata must
agree?

Rick Jelliffe