Re: fragment exchange (was Re: rationales for TEI extended-pointer keywords)

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:00:37 +1000
To: "XML Working Group (E-mail)" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
> To have a syntax which allows the degree of richness implied by my
> examples may have to wait for XML 2.0. But to move ACTUATE and SHOW, in
> their current simple forms, out of XML-LINK and into XML-STYLE should be
> easy enough to do in XML 1.0. This would give Rick the features he wants
> and me the indirection I need.
> It will then be possible to have stylesheets with the following kinds of
> result:

If links are the same kind of thing as formatting, then we should anticpate:

* an equivalent to inline attribute-based formatting like HTML <FONT>
	(i.e. SHOW, ACTUATE, BEHAVIOUR),
* an equivalent to CSS (drm's suggested stylesheets), and
* an equivalent to DSSSL (HyTime queries?).

Each of which will be useful to various groups. I don't  think one competes with the
others, except for appropriateness in any given system and user group.

In any case, an application can ignore the values of any attribute it wants to. The SHOW and
ACTUATE attributes can act as defaults or hints for browsers in the absense of any other
policy.

Rick Jelliffe