Re: rationales for TEI extended-pointer keywords

From: Peter Murray-Rust <Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:41:12 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
In message <199706110050.UAA18150@www10.w3.org> Michael Sperberg-McQueen writes:
[... justification for keeping TEI keywords ...]

> I hope this helps clarify why I want a full set of tree-traversal
> keywords.  Maybe James is right, and this is sort of a poor-folk's
> query language.  If so, I suspect it's smaller and easier to implement
> than any of the Rich Folk's query languages, and to a really
> surprising degree it does get the job done.

I'd like to support this - when I demonstrate this facility to people who
haven't seen XML before, and tell them it *comes free with the [draft] language*
they are impressed.  It's a very strong selling point over other approaches.
[Of course they ask about regexp :-)].

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences