Netscape metadata submission to W3C uses XML

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:35:15 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
In recent news, Netscape has submitted to W3C a general metadata framework
for distributed information resources.  The data model is the interesting
part, but the syntax is XML.  The name is "Meta Content Framework Using XML",
and the paper is co-authored by R.V. Guha of Netscape and by me.  It needs
namespaces, and the current draft uses the Layman syntax.  Also it uses
XML-link to link meta to data... gosh it's going to be nice when all
these things stop moving so much and settles down.

Anyone can look at the cover doc at w3.org; you need to be a W3C member
to read the paper itself.  If you're not, Guha tells me that it's up
at home.netscape.com somewhere, and I've also mirrored a copy at

  http://www.textuality.com/sgml-erb/w3c-mcf.html

Behind the HTML is of course an XML document, which needs a bit of
cleanup but will of course be available in due course.  Anyhow this
is a first draft that doubtless will improve with input from the
W3C community.

Uh, there will be feedback, but I genuinely at the moment have no
idea what the appropriate venue is - that I think is a problem for
Br'er Dan Connolly.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592