Re: Re PEs

Matthew Fuchs wrote:

> The first kind of DTD is mostly server-side for generating documents.  It would
> only be transmitted to the client on request.  It is not required to conform to
> the MGSW (maybe we should say WF in a week, Valid in a fortnight) and can
> include all the bells and whistles a DTD designer needs while remaining in the
> WF category (i.e, no SHORTREFs).  Since we're keeping the XML lexing model
> simple, this would still be a lot easier than a full SGML DTD parser.

Top marks!  Good Matthew.  One view is that
we deal with documents for which validity is established once and
is always true.  Another are that we see an instance in process and
realize
that the emitters and consumers of that instance are modifying it and
that they transform by a set of rules err,,, styles..err.. processes.

That I guess, is why the spec calls them XML processors.  "-)

WFness and validity are just states of the instance.  It can be
both and not.  It depends on what the processor needs it to be.

Some stupid questions:

What are the implications of transforms to namespaces?
Does the instance have a namespace?
If an instance is transformed, is it a new namespace, is it
in a new namespace, does the transform affect the namespace?

Looking at Rick's proposal to chain the notations, does
that chain a set of documents which prescribe the notation,
or the handlers required on the system to process the
notation?  Yes, they are just identifiers.  What do they identify?

len