re : deleta/enda

From: Lou Burnard <lou@vax.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:34:58 +0100
To: W3C-SGML-WG@w3.org
CC: lou@vax.ox.ac.uk
|whitespace relates. The result was RE deleta est as reported
|already by Michael.

If this Latin phrase is to enter history, could we please all contrive to spell
it right? The phrase to which m'learned friend refers is
"Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed) not "deleta".

|   CHILD (3)       locates the 3rd real subelement
|   CHILD (3 *)     locates the 3rd real subelement
|   CHILD (3 !)     locates the 3rd real or pseudo subelement

Is it intentional that no option for "3rd pseudo subelement" is
provided? Personally, I am so much in favour of counting pseudos and
reals together, that I think of counting only reals as being a "marked" case
(in the linguistic sense). So I'd rather make the unmarked case (Child(3))
mean "real or pseudo".

|The approach was also suggested, that pseudo-elements consisting *only* of
|whitespace not be counted. This may enhance intuitiveness and compatibility
|with SGML systems that do not yet support the TC.

I like this one, though I think it should be user selectable. There are places
where white space must be preserved (verbatim examples etc) in whatever system
you're using, so it is at least conceivable that you might want to access
pseudo elements containing them.

Lou