external entities: in LANG or LINK?

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:00:04 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
There's been some discussion about getting rid of external entities in
XML LANG. The main reason seems to be that the XML LINK
solution seems to be better in some ways.

I think we should keep them in XML LANG.

1) They're easy to understand in the XML LANG form
2) SGML tools already implement them, so fulfilling
guideline 3
3) The only required part of XML is XML LANG. XML LINK
is optional. Thus, any feature that goes from being required
in XML LANG is, in effect, made completely optional. If it
was important enough to put into XML LANG in the first place,
why make it optional now?

Lauren