Re: External binary entities

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

> Since they aren't (can't be) automatically substituted in, and we have
> XML-LINK, why not get rid of them altogether?  Aren't they redundant?

I asked that about 6 months ago. Then I decided that entities were important
for giving an internal name to external data objects. This seemed vaguely
important for maintaining SGML's concept of an "entity manager". The entity
manager could, for instance, do PUBID substitutions or even SYSID
substitutions.

Now, however, hypertext links seem to bypass entities (and thus PUBID
substitution). I think that that may be a mistake. Even if we must invent a
syntax for putting public ID's "inline", we should be consistent in our
referencing of external resources.

 Paul Prescod