Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

Gavin Nicol writes:

>Well, I have problems with the "here" in the above sentence. It assumes
>far too much about the implementation.

Look at error messages of nsgmls.  Line numbers and character
positions are clearly identified.

>Imagine how you would feel if the parser just said:
>
>  "Illegal character #x3000 in input"
>
>or worse, just simple didn't parse your file. I would prefer to keep
>zenkaku spaces in simply because it will make life for the user a lot
>easier. If you *really* want them out, I would recommend mapping them
>to hankaku spaces in the SGML declaration.

I do not agree.  XML or SGML editors free users from writing spaces between
markups.

Neither my colleagues at my office nor the co-authors of the original
Japanese comments agree with you.  If this issue is discussed by a
large member of Japanese experts, the same conclusion will be reached,
I believe.

Having said this, I stop discussion and trust the ERB will make a reasonable
decision.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231