RE: Thoughts on namespaces

At 05:19 3/6/97 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>All of the namespace proposals have to solve two problems:
>
> 1. linking to the schema or whatever defines the namespace, and
> 2. signalling what namespace an element type is in (the colon stuff).
>
>For #1, we've had proposals for using elements and PI's and weird new
>marked section-like syntax.  Despite the fact that the problem has
>"link" in its name.  This could obviously done with xml-link given
>a reserved role like
><x XML-link="extended" role="xml-namespace" href=".." short-prefix=".."/>
>
>Given that it can be, it should be.  Why not? -Tim

a) Because this only works in the instance - it doesn't let you define name
spaces in a DTD
b) Because it can only be used at places where x has been declared as valid
in the DTD, and XML does not allow inclusions!
c) Because the model of extended links is constrained, and I don't want to
constrain the model of every element in a namespace to this model.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/