Re: Revised SGML Declaration for XML 1.0

From: Murata Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 18:01:47 +0900
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
I forwarded the revised SGML declaration to a mailing list, which
is for XML discussion in the Japanese language.  Ishikawa-san and
Nicol-san made comments on the declaration.  We believe that
the declaration should reference to UCS-4 rather than UCS-2.

The current proposal says:

>     CHARSET
>         BASESET
>             "ISO Registration Number 176//CHARSET
>             ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993 UCS-2 with implementation
>             level 3//ESC 2/5 2/15 4/5"

Ishikawa-san pointed out that the latest version of Cougar (which
is not publicly disclosed yet) adopts UCS-4 as below:

>   CHARSET
>            BASESET  "ISO Registration Number 177//CHARSET
>                      ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993 UCS-4 with
>                      implementation level 3//ESC 2/5 2/15 4/6"

Ishikawa-san spoke with Francois Yergeau, Bert Bos, Vincent Quint
and made sure that Cougar will use UCS-4.  Ishikawa-san argues that
Cougar and XML should be able to handle the same set of characters.

Nicol-san also pointed out that character references will become
complicated if we adopt UCS-2.

Murata, Makoto
Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231