Re: Using HyTime Arcform stuff (was Re: Ephemeral XML?)

At 2:32 PM 1/14/97, Len Bullard wrote:
>>    DSSSL is the only processing standard that this group is comitted to
>> produce. I stringly believe that we need to address CSS, and a way to pass
>> markup structures to Java applets via some kind of CSS and DSSSL bindings.
>> But that is not an argument for the moment, I think.
>
>Ok.  I am not sure many people understood the implication of a
>commitment by the group to DSSSL bindings to Java applets.
>
>1.  Getting DSSSL support will be as hard or harder to get
>than HyTime support.

I tend to agree, and that's why I hope for CSS support as well... I
actually hate CSS, but the momentum should probably be redirected, rather
than ignored.

>2.  Java is a very slow object system.  Active X controls are more
>efficient if
>less secure.

   Active-X is a vendor-dependent, platform-dependent closed system. I
certainly hope it will die. I also think (and hope) that
architecture-dependent software interfaces are doomed to slow death.

   One another front, I will only use an "operating system" from MS when
hell freezes over. So I'm perhaps a bit biased, since I expect Active-X to
do nothing for me.

   But the vendor-neutrality issue is a better reason than personal onus
(and sufficient, too).

>Every other day, I get a phone call from someone who states
>that in their informed opinion, the only thing SGML or XML
>are good for are print applications.  So, when we use a term
>like stylesheet, we are predisposing some to accept that argument.
>That is why I mention it.

Maybe we should use a new term like "processing specification"? If we are
generalizing the term stylesheet to the point that people at large will not
understand the concept, we should find a new term.