Re: Using HyTime Arcform stuff (was Re: Ephemeral XML?)

David G. Durand wrote:

> >Given a better definition or term for stylesheet, I might agree.
>
> Even the temr stylesheet is disposable in the above. What I really mean is:
>
> "Markup is for declarative, structural information.  Formatting or other
> processing behavior is declared externally to the document."

That is how I would see it.  The designers of JavaScript and HTML
see it otherwise.  So that is one proposed restriction that will
break the HTML model pretty cleanly away from XML as well as it's
handlers.

>    DSSSL is the only processing standard that this group is comitted to
> produce. I stringly believe that we need to address CSS, and a way to pass
> markup structures to Java applets via some kind of CSS and DSSSL bindings.
> But that is not an argument for the moment, I think.

Ok.  I am not sure many people understood the implication of a
commitment by the group to DSSSL bindings to Java applets.

1.  Getting DSSSL support will be as hard or harder to get
than HyTime support.

2.  Java is a very slow object system.  Active X controls are more
efficient if
less secure.

I think the implementation of an Active-X control
for XML used in conjunction with a Visual Basic framework will
be rather nice.  Better than the RTF control anyway.  Something
similar to Peter Murray-Rust's CML application.  But that is
just the application engineer thinking.  Almost everything
people *hate* about SGML or think they hate, is there in
XML, so selling it based on a simplification of SGML won't
be very successful.  An application is always easier to sell.

Every other day, I get a phone call from someone who states
that in their informed opinion, the only thing SGML or XML
are good for are print applications.  So, when we use a term
like stylesheet, we are predisposing some to accept that argument.
That is why I mention it.

>    Even though we may not standardise anything other than DSSSL, we are
> certainly not preventing other groups from doing so...

Certainly.

len