Re: Link indirection

At 09:02 PM 1/4/97 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>   HyTime uses the concept of "resources" to categorize those element types
>   that are only used by reference (and therefore, whose content, if any,
>   would not normally be displayed, certainly not at the location it occurred
>   in the source).
>
>That's the very problem...I would not expect all browsers to adhere to
>HyTime, whether it is prescribed/recommended/whatever in the XML spec
>or not; and in any event, our discussion seems to turn on the precise
>aspect of this which causes the difficulty -- what to do with DTD-less
>`instances'

DTD-less instances is a good point and a strong argument for using
attributes only when you expect your data to be used in such an environment.

Of course, even with DTD-less documents, you can still provide the
necessary architectural mapping attributes (although they may appear to be
redundant to the casual observer, as David points out).  If the browser
understands the architecture *AND* the mapping is there (DTD or not), then
it can certainly suppress the presentation of "resources" if necessary.

Remember too that we're pretty much pre-supposing style sheets for
documents (it's difficult to have default presentation behavior for
arbitrary DTDs unless those DTDs are mapped to known architectures for
which you do have default behaviors).  Thus, the style sheet can manage
suppressing the presentation of resources (e.g., hiding index entries or
indirect addressing elements).

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting