Re: SERIOUS concerns about implementation

At 05:23 PM 2/20/97 GMT, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> [trimmed]
>My own position is that my DTD (CML) is (now) not interoperable with XML.
>The problem is not primarily technical.  The components that CML
interoperates
>with belong to other organisations who own the copyright and for each of
>which I shall have to get permission to alter and redistribute the material.
>Whilst I am sure this will come in time, it's not something that a single
>individual is likely to make much headway with.  Therefore, I cannot
>legally distribute my material in XML-form (unless I have misunderstood
>this).
> [trimmed]

I wouldn't worry too much, yet, Peter. I saw long ago that XML would be
untenable as a data format for managing source docs and that we would have
to adopt on-the-fly conversion if we chose to use it at all for delivering
documentation over the net. I'm sure that there will be PD tools available
to do just that since, so far, it doesn't seem to be too difficult of a
transformation.

bob

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger					voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760