Re: What to do given both SYSTEM and PUBLIC?

At 16:29 19/02/97 -0600, you wrote:
[implementors]
>Hmm.  You could find some and ask them.  Of course, the love of the ear
>is to hear what it heard before.  That question usually sets off the
>platform wars.  Gzip is popular because free, but not a great way to
>pack up multiple files, so in reality, just compression.  Pkzip can
>pack multiple files and compress, but it's not free.

But there are zips which are both free and compress.

>should be considered:  fat packets piss off the NetLords.  Small,
>"guaranteed overnight deliveries" are the way of the web.

Pshaw. I _have_ overnight delivery on my connection right now, it's so
damn slow...

>Don't let them pick.  Pick smart here.

No. we tried that with HTML and it was ignored because the programmers
didn't want the hassle of learning SGML. Picking smart is no guarantee
of anything, unfortunately.

>Pick the one that can be implemented fastest in XML 1.0.

*That*'s more like it. Even if it stinks.

>> Let's not make the same mistake.
>
>You mean there is another mistake we can make?

No, we're all perfect here, aren't we...aren't we...? :-)

///Perter
--
> to discover 1000s of internal "homepages" that grew overnight
> like magic mushrooms on a rich motherlode of corporate horseshit.
                          Copyright 1996, IBM.  All Rights Reserved