Re: Sudden death: request for missing input

From: Dave Hollander <dmh@hpsgml.fc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 16:06:47 -0600
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> At the risk of being simplistic here are my views (as a small fry
> implementor)
>
> Q1: Must an XML parser report the first error it encounters?
> Yes.
>
> Q2: Must an XML parser stop providing data after an error?
> No.

Q2a: Is it important to have interoperability defined for documents
	that have errors?

Q2b: If so, how do we prevent implementation/market-share wars
	over emulating error behavior such that XML will not effectively
	become rewritten by the leading implementations?

A2a: the argument seems to be, don't worry. Since most if not all XML
	documents will be machine generated they will all be well formed.
	I don't buy it! Programmers are human to and make as many errors
	as prose authors.

A2b: ???

Dave Hollander