Re: Error handling in XML

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:54:09 +0100
To: Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 10:41 20/4/97 GMT, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

>My concern is that if the message goes out that XML is as tolerant of errors
>as HTML and makes best guesses, we can forget about precise passage of
>information.  Since it will be most people's first conscious contact with SGML
>(other than HTML, where they don't realise this) if an XML system breaks
>on them, they won't get a very good impression of SGML.  Maybe that doesn't

There is a difference between loss of markup and loss of data. Whilst both
consititute information, no data should be discarded just because there is
an error in a piece of markup. XML should at very least retain the following
data as part of the last validly opened element.
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/