Re: Error handling in XML

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:54:09 +0100
To: Peter@ursus.demon.co.uk, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 10:41 20/4/97 GMT, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

>My concern is that if the message goes out that XML is as tolerant of errors
>as HTML and makes best guesses, we can forget about precise passage of
>information.  Since it will be most people's first conscious contact with SGML
>(other than HTML, where they don't realise this) if an XML system breaks
>on them, they won't get a very good impression of SGML.  Maybe that doesn't
>matter...

There is a difference between loss of markup and loss of data. Whilst both
consititute information, no data should be discarded just because there is
an error in a piece of markup. XML should at very least retain the following
data as part of the last validly opened element.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/