Re: Another pseudo-element gotcha

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 07:49:43 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 10:04 AM 12/04/97 +0700, James Clark wrote:
><A ID="A">
><B>...</B>
></A>
>
>ID(A)CHILD(1) selects the B element, right?  Wrong!

James is right.  His suggestions are good, but let me make another:
Anyone who uses tree-walking-by-number-alone to point to stuff on the
Web has rocks in their head.  It may be possible occasionally, to
count typed nodes (e.g. the fourth chapter), but just counting nodes,
or levels in the tree, is guaranteed, I repeat guaranteed, to fail,
in a high proportion of cases.

This might be viable in a highly-constrained closely-controlled intranet
situation.  Maybe. -Tim